Think about that for a minute.
I'd like to think that he at least checked them for voltage first.... but based on what else I've seen in this truck so far, I'm really thinking he just grabbed all the brown wires and mixed them together. For some reason the Dual head unit that was in it before worked in this manner (that says something about how crappy they are if they don't even check for wiring faults). Anyway, I used my sophisticated speaker tester array (my Droid X connected to a 1/8mm jack with a 2-way RCA splitter on the end) and tracked down which wires actually went to the speakers. I cut away all the others, taped it up, and plugged the radio in. Bam! It worked. Victory! I reconnected the rear speaker wires and tested, still worked :)
|So yeah, the Kenwood isn't very 80s, but I like it.|
|Passenger woofer and temporary tweeter location|
|Driver woofer and temporary tweeter location|
So yeah not much as far as progress, but it feels like a huge victory. Having a radio is pretty nice :P