It was closer, but I still needed to lose another 1/4" or so of depth. Behind the pillar grilles was some plastic framing. I'm not really sure what it's purpose was, and it didn't look like it was critical to holding the grilles in so I cut that away.
|the back side of the pillar post-cutting|
The way the sunlight is it's kinda hard to see much detail, but you can tell the pillars are in and look pretty flipping sweet. While working on this I went ahead and put the defrost vents back in. I actually did the driver's pillar first, then these vents, then the passenger pillar, so the pictures are a little out of order. Dad suggested leaving them blue might add some accent and kinda pull the colors of the pillars together, I actually like it a lot. Unfortunately the dash is a little warped so they don't fit flush, but I think I can fix that with a little epoxy.
|Notice the waves in the dash cap along the left side wiper|
It's getting there :) I'm really happy with how it's turned out so far. Few setbacks here and there, but that's to be expected. Overall I'm pleased. I'm planning to replace the oil pan gasket and change the oil on Monday. After that the next step will be the passenger door lock. I'm tired of the doors being all naked :P